Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is the phone number?

A. Here are phone numbers for various services:

MSU Extension Office – 231-757-4789
Scottville Area Senior Center – 231-757-4705
Scottville Library – 231-757-2588
Riverside Park – 231-757-2429
Animal Control – 231-843-8644
Chamber of Commerce – 231-845-0324
Mason County Road Commission – 231-757-2882
Scottville Post Office – 231-757-2474
City Assessor – 231-233-8161

Q. Can we park in the streets?

A. Yes, except when the snow ordinance is in effect from November 1st to April 1st, which means NO PARKING on city streets, city parking lots or alleys between 2:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. to allow for removal of snow.

Q. When are taxes due?

A. The tax notices are mailed out twice a year to the person or party noted on the tax bill. The summer tax notice is usually in the mail by July 1st and they are due August 31st. After that date a penalty &/or interest will be charged. The winter tax notice is usually in the mail by December 1st and they are due February 14th. After that date a penalty &/or interest will be charged.

Q. When are water bills due?

A. City water meters are read monthly. The bill is due by the tenth of each month. Any bill paid after the due date is charged a 10% penalty. You may pay your water bill at the City Hall Office or you may mail it. For your convenience, a drop box for water bills is located next to the front door. You can also have your water bill paid by having your account automatically debited. Please contact City Hall for details.

If you plan to rent a house in our City or purchase a home on a land contract a deposit of $300.00 is required before the account can be put on in your name. When moving out of the house, you should notify us so we can take a final water reading. The final bill will be deducted from your deposit and the balance remitted to you if there is a balance due you.

Q. When is garbage picked up in the city?

A. The City of Scottville has a refuse contract with Republic Services for trash disposal and recycling.

Trash is picked up EVERY Tuesday. Recycling EVERY OTHER Tuesday.

Residents can choose to dispose of their trash one of two ways-

By the bag- Residents are required to use special City bags with this option. The bags can be bought at City Hall or Wesco. The cost is as follows:

30-gallon bags: $14.00 for a package of 10 bags, or $1.50 for an individual bag

** Compost bags are picked up on MONDAYS, April through the end of October.

**Please note Wesco sells bags by the package only

Trash Cart- Residents are able to order a trash cart through City Hall for $17.00 per month. This cost is added to your monthly water bill, there is no additional billing. You may use any type/size of bag you like with this option, so long as it goes into the cart. 

If you are interested in ordering a cart fill out and mail/drop off the following form to City Hall.

Trash Cart Order Form

If you have issues with your service please contact Republic Services directly, but be sure to let them know you are a city resident.



Q. Does Scottville have a recycling program?

A. Yes, we absolutely do! In fact, we happily offer recycling carts at no charge to all our residents!  If you would like to take advantage of this program please fill out the following form and submit to City Hall for further instructions.

Recycling Cart Order Form

Q. Does Scottville have an annual clean-up day?

A. No.

Per our contract with Republic Services; Residents are permitted to place ONE large item out with their trash for FREE disposal the FIRST Tuesday of each month. Additional large item tickets can be purchased at City Hall for $17.

*Please take note that any item containing freon is NOT ELIGIBLE for the free program. Specific tickets must be purchased at City Hall  for these items.*

Q. When are the city commission meetings held?

A. The Scottville City Commission Meetings are held the second and fourth Monday of each month at 6:30 p.m. at City Hall (105 N. Main St). The public is invited to attend these meetings.
** Dates may be different if Monday is a holiday. **

Q. How do I report a streetlight that is burned out?

A. Report an outage.