Welcome to Scottville, Michigan!
Scottville’s recorded history began in 1874 when the town was mapped as a station on the Pere Marquette’s Railroad. It was first called Mason Center because of its location in the county. Later, it was renamed Sweetland, after James Sweetland, who built a sawmill here in 1878. Sweetland sold the mill a year later to Hiram Scott. Scott officially platted the land in 1882 and named it after himself. It was incorporated as a village in 1889 and as a city in 1907. Today, Scottville remains the agricultural center of Mason County.
Announcements and Public Notice
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
The City of Scottville seeks a qualified individual or firm to serve as Assessor for the City of Scottville, to work on a part-time contractual basis. The City invites interested Assessors and or/or firms with Michigan Advanced Assessing Officer (MAOO) Level 3 or higher and a minimum of three years of municipal experience representing municipal or other government entities in the State of Michigan, to submit a written proposal to provide Assessor services. The Assessor reports directly to the City Manager, and is expected to work closely with the City Clerk and Treasurer. The contract offered will be for a period of three (3) years, with an option for additional 1-year renewal.
CITY ATTORNEY / LEGAL SERVICES
The City of Scottville seeks qualified attorneys or firms to serve as City Attorney and provide other legal services. The City invites interested Attorneys and/or firms with a minimum of three years of municipal law experience, representing municipal or other governmental entities in the State of Michigan, to submit a written proposal to provide City Attorney services. The City Attorney is appointed by and accountable to the City Commission as prescribed by Section 5.14 of the Charter, but works closely with the City Manager. The contract offered will be for a period of three (3) years, with an option for additional 1-year renewal.
For full content of the Request for Proposal documents, follow the link provided below.
Contact Courtney Magaluk, City Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (231) 757-4729. Proposal are due no later than 4:00pm on June 18, 2020. The City of Scottville is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Monday, June 1, 2020, 5:30pm: 1474th Regular City Commission Meeting
Join via Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83402508228
Call-in only or phone audio: (929) 205-6099 or (312) 626-6799. Meeting ID 834-0250-8228
Additional Reminders and Announcements:
Join a board or the commission! Commission Vacancies 2020!
Seasonal Parking ordinance is in effect November 1st through April 1st. Follow the link below for more specific details. No Parking During Snow Emergency
City Residents are responsible for winter maintenance of the sidewalk adjacent to their property per City Ordinance(s) 95.36 and 95.42. Sidewalk Snow Removal
The Scottville Police Department is accepting applications for a Full Time Officer. Follow the link below to download an application. Paper copies are also available at City Hall.
- Police Department Application
- Refuse & Recycling bins may be placed on curb no earlier than 5 pm Monday evening, and no later than 7 am Tuesday morning. Furthermore, they will need to be pulled back in no later than 6 pm Tuesday evening. We understand these time frames do not mesh with everyone’s schedule, and are willing to work with residents who have a legit schedule conflict/no other options. This ordinance revision is meant not to be a burden, but to set clearer standards on cleanliness expectations within city limits.
- You can place one bulky item to the curb on the 1st Tuesday of each month FREE OF CHARGE! Examples of items would be: mattress, table, chair, couch, vacuum, microwave, tv, etc. You cannot use a black or other color garbage bag as your 1 item. If you have any questions, please call city hall.
- The Scottville City Commission meets regularly the FIRST and THIRD Monday of EVERY month at 5:30 pm unless notified otherwise. These meetings are open to the public. Representative Curt VanderWall holds monthly Coffee Hours at City Hall. Please check our Facebook page for dates and times.
- In accordance with the International Property Maintenance Code all buildings in the city must be properly addressed in such a way as to be plainly visible and legible from the street or road fronting the property. Follow the link below for more specific information.
- We want to thank the Mason County Community Foundation for awarding the Scottville Police Department a $3,000 grant which allowed them to purchase an in car computer for the police cruiser. This computer allows our officers to complete their reports and run information while staying out of the streets protecting our citizens. This project may not have been possible without the support of the Mason County Community Foundation.
- We are happy to announce that we now offer the Big Red Barrel here at City Hall. This barrel is used to deposit medications that are no longer needed or outdated. We just ask that you place the pills in a sealed Ziploc bag. If you have liquids or creams we ask that those too be placed in Ziploc bags, however, please add paper towels to the bag to soak up the liquids. We cannot accept needles or aerosol containers